Events and Happenings

The City of Churdan would like to recognize the contributions made by the Grow Greene Gaming Corporation; allowing the purchase of equipment to enhance and maintain the beautification of our city parks, memorials, walking paths and other properties for its residents, businesses and visitors. Thank you Grow Greene Gaming Corporation!!!

City Hall is open for business:
Monday thru Thursday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. -1 p.m.
Phone  office at 515-389-3334 and leave a message please.
Maintenance Department  515-389-3790

City of Churdan Water, Sewer, Storm Water Drainage & Garbage Rates


Monthly Water Rates: $30.10 base rate includes 1,000 gallons and $.0125 per gallon for each additional gallon


Monthly Sewer Rates:   $24.00 per month


Monthly Garbage Rates (Residential)  $ 24.00 per month (one (1)) Add’l $10.00 each


Monthly Storm Water Drainage Utility $5.00 per month


Utility bills are mailed on or about the 20th of each month and are due by the 5th of the following month.  Payment can be mailed to City Hall, or placed in the drop box at City Hall.  We accept check, money ordeer or cashiers check.  NO Cash.  Delinquent notices are sent out on or about the 6th of the month with a late fee of $25.00 being assessed.  If the delinquent amount is not paid by the date on the notice, disconnection will take place the following day.  Disconnected service will not be restored until the delinquent balance plus a $200.00 reconnection fee is paid (between 8 a.m. and 4p.m. Monday thru Friday).  There are no weekend reconnections made.


A $200.00 deposit is required from all new residents.  That deposit will be refunded when service is discontinued and all accounts are paid in full.


Garbage is collected every Thursday and recycling boxes are picked up every other Thursday. 


For electric service, contact Alliant Energy at 1-800-255-4268.


For telephone service, call Webster-Calhoun Cooperative Telephone Association in Gowrie at 515-352-3151.


City Hall is open for business: Monday thru Thursday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday 9 a.m. -1 p.m.

Phone office at 515-389-3334 and leave a message please.


Maintenance Department 515-389-3790





Paragraph 3-1-5 (6a-e)


6.  Discharging Firearms and fireworks.   (Code of Iowa, Sec. 727.2)

     a.  A person shall not use or explode Consumer Fireworks on days                      other than one (1) week before  the  4th of July through one (1)                weeks after  the 4th of July.

     b.  A person shall not use or explode Consumer Fireworks at times                     other than between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m.

     c.  A person shall not use or explode Consumer Fireworks on real                          property other than that person’s  real property or on the real                          property of a person who has consented to the use of Consumer

          Fireworks on that property.

     d.  Persons using or exploding Consumer Fireworks must be at least                   eighteen (18) years of age or older.

     e.  Person using or exploding Consumer Fireworks are prohibited from                 being under the influence of  alcohol or other drugs or a combination             of such substances, while having a blood alcohol  concentration of                   .08 or more while having any amount of a controlled substance in the             person’s   body.

                                               SNOW ORDINANCE

The City of Churdan will be enforcing its snow ordinance this winter, which prohibits parking on any public street, alley or city-owned off-street parking area.  This will be in effect from any proclamation through the duration of the snow or ice storm and the forty-eight (48) hour period after cessation of the storm or until the snow has been removed or plowed from the area. 


REMOVAL OF SNOW, ICE AND ACCUMULATIONS   It is the responsibility of the abutting property owners to remove snow, ice and accumulations promptly from sidewalks.  If a property owner does not remove snow, ice or accumulations within forty-eight (48) hours, the City may do so and assess the costs against the property owner for collection in the same manner as a property tax.

City Dump Restrictions


The following are the only items to be disposed of within the City Dump:


*Grass clippings


*Garden debris

*House plants



Any other items are strictly Prohibited.

Do NOT dump outside the dump site.



The guidelines below will assist you in correctly posting your assigned emergency 911 address number.


1. The number shall be displayed in a location visible from the road which the number is assigned.

2.  Numbers should be placed on both sides of the mailbox.  However, displaying the number on the mailbox may not be all that is necessary under some circumstances if described in 3 & 4 below:

     *  There is no mailbox.

     *  The mailbox is on the opposite side of the road  from the property.

     *  There are multiple mailboxes at the location and the home/building which goes with the mailbox is not clearly


3.  Number may be placed on the house, but only if they are readily visible from the road (usually within 50 feet) and the view of the numbers is not blocked by trees/shrubs.

4.  Numbers may be placed on a sign or post at the entrance to the right-of-way or shared driveway.  One post, 39 inches to 40 inches high, shall be erected for a right-of-way or shared driveway serving more than one but less than four addresses and shall have, if affixed to it address numbers to each house or unit served by that right-of-way or shared driveway.  If the house/unit is not visible from the point at which the individual driveway breaks from the right-of-way or shared driveway, the address number must also be posted on the house or  an additional post  must be erected at that point with the address number of that dwelling /unit.

5.  Numbers should be at three (3) inches high.

6.  Numbers should be plain block numerals, not script or written numbers.

7.  Numbers shall be set on a background or contrasting color, preferably white or black.

8.  Do not place number on utility poles, County road signs, or anywhere within the road right-of-way (except mailboxes).

9.  Temporary display of addresses for new structures shall be maintained during construction.


If you receive your mail at a Post Office Box, then your mailing address will not change.  However, you must still post the Emergency 911 Address on your property so that it can be located by emergency vehicles.

© 2017 CityChurdan Proudly created with